Sunday, March 2, 2014

Thistle


We have had a few additions to the farm over the past few days. The most prominent one, I will say, is the one who is currently living in the kitchen. His name is Thistle.
 I was certain when we started this farming venture that I would hold fast to some manner of respectable living, but alas all has been thrown to the wind. When Thistle was born on a very cold morning, and his mom said "this mothering is not for me", what could be done, but bring him in and thaw him out.
  I had heard stories of other farmers doing such outlandish things. I thought, I would never see the day when it would happen to us. Here I sit, at my kitchen table, and right behind me sleeps a little calf. Try as we might to keep the hay and bedding all in one place, it has ended up all through the house. As nice as it is to have the floors all clean and the children free of sawdust, I would not trade this experience. I know the feeling is mutual with the rest of the family. There is something so rewarding caring for one who truly and desperately needs it. Thank you God for life!
 Truthfully, he is more like a very large puppy, then a calf. There are little greetings when we come down in the morning. He bounces around in his pen trying to get some energy out, also tries to get all the scratches he can, I mean who wouldn't?! So when the time comes for Thistle to join his comrades out in the barn, I know we will all miss seeing him over the breakfast table, talking to him while drinking our tea, or enjoying a story beside him. I suppose the barn is really not that far away, but it will seem like it when Thistle moves out.









No comments:

Post a Comment