Friday, April 25, 2014

Never would have thought this would happen...




































Sometime this past fall, the kids and I were out for a walk. We had been exploring the fields and searching for some hidden treasure, not really expecting to find any, mind you. As we passed by a cluster of new saplings, there caught in the middle was a jumbo, by my standards, cocoon. Because of it's sheer size I was a bit fearful to bring it in the house. But... there was the children to think about, and they were, oh, so excited. It was so fun to hear all the thoughts of what could possible be inside. My favorite was from the 4 yr old, Addy. She was quite certain it was a bird  all wrapped up in there, waiting for spring.

 Time passed and I started to feel more comfortable with the unknown cocoon laying around. Its now mid April and the cocoon was the last thing on my mind today, but lo and behold today was the chosen day! And thank goodness it was the best of all the scenarios. I was starting to think that it could have a giant spider that laid it's eggs in a leaf and they were getting ready to hatch! Creepy!!!
As it turns out it was a Cecropia silkmoth, the largest moth in North America. Thank heavens! It is truly amazing to look at. I really had no idea that we had so many beautiful moths here in New Hampshire.



1 comment:

  1. That's is a big moth, what a beauty. The biggest one I've seen so far is the Luna moth, another beauty, I would love to see this one.

    ReplyDelete